Friday, May 15, 2009

50 bucks...

...Around the time that Isaak was born last year, or even before, (I just remember walking with Brian...but it's hard to picture anything without my little monkey climbing all over me) we were walking around our neighborhood and I found a $20 bill on the ground. A few steps later I found another $20 bill. Hmmmm, forty dollars huh? Who couldn't use $40? :) We were on a corner, so it was pretty unclear which house it could have come from, or even if it came from a person in one of the houses or a passerby. Anyhow, after knocking on doors and inquiring about possible lost money a girl claimed it (she knew the amount and type of bills and whatnot).

Then, a couple of months later, Brian was walking with Isaak in the stroller and came upon 8 $100 bills...yes, that's right, $800...what? Who has that kind of cash in their pocket and doesn't notice it fall out? It was in front of a house so Brian knocked on the door and the guy immediately knew what he had lost. He said he should take us out to dinner...Brian of course declined, but it was a nice gesture.

So, next time you're low on cash, take a walk, you never know whose money you might find. I don't tell you these stories to boast of our integrity (far be it for me, however, to discourage your praise...:)!!! J/K!! But, it makes me think of a conversation that I had with my brother, Kirk, maybe 2 years ago. We were talking about monthly expenses, I think it had to do with buying our car and how much down payment to make, I don't remember for sure. Our decision would mean the difference of twenty dollars. "Twenty dollars. What does twenty dollars mean to you in a month?" he asked me. "Oh, I don't know, savings?" I replied. He stated, "For me it means a date night out with my wife...clearly your priorities are in the wrong place!" Nothing like an older brother to boost the old self-esteem!

So, now Brian and I are looking at 2 townhomes to rent. The difference of fifty bucks. What does $50 mean to you in a month?

6 comments:

The Walker clan said...

Well said.

Shannon said...

208 pounds of wheat! Do you know how many loafs of bread that will make? A LOT!

7packofbearss said...

Some months it means more than others. Depends on whether it is $50 buck you have or don't have.

Elder and Sister Hale said...

Hmmmmmm....$50.00 doesn't go a long way in my house! So I'm going to say a date night with my hubby! ONLY because my babysitter is free now...Anela! Yeah!

Kim and company said...

Well, is one townhome closer to his work and would save you gas? Is one in better shape--and would require less upkeep. Do you like the neighborhood better at one house? Are you truly comparing apples or are there differences??

leah said...

Hi guys. $50 bucks at the moment means dog food! Blah!
j/k its good to see an update of ya'll. I love the fam pics. Especially the one on your header.