Sunday, October 26, 2008

Adding my voice...

Earlier this week it came to my attention that there is a whole slough of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in California (and I'm sure elsewhere) that are against Proposition 8. This proposition is simply trying to protect the sanctity of marriage, keeping it between a man and a woman, as opposed to allowing same-gender marriage to be legalized. I've been meaning to write about it in our blog ever since, but have been unable to collect my thoughts completely.



Brian and I both grew up in Southern California and have family and friends still there. I remember when proposition 22 was being voted on in 2000 concerning the same issue and the church was a big proponent of it....The morning of the election my friends and I were driving to seminary and half way there one of them asked, "Is that your dad, Kayleen?" She was pointing to a man running down the street wearing a bright blue lawn sign on his chest and back that said, "YES ON 22!!" I laughed as I realized that is was. What an awesome example. I was a senior in high school, and I remember thinking, "Are people really wondering if this is a good idea...I mean people other than gays themselves?" Apparently, they did, but not enough of them. Over 60% of Californians voted for prop 22, protecting marriage. Now, 8 years or so later it has come into question again and all I can think is about a frog in a pan of water. You throw him in a boiling pan, he's gonna jump out because it's too hot. You throw him in a cold pan and slowly raise the temperature, he dies, unable to detect the deadly rise in temperature.



My sister commented, and I remember noting the same thing from this past General Conference (Oct 2008), that twice in a row, in two separate talks, it was mentioned that King Lahonti was poisoned by degrees--not all at once, it was undetected by him, and probably by his followers. It's easy to let down our guard when it appears Satan is taking a break from his agenda, such complacency leads to desensitisation, the type that inhibits our ability to feel the clarifying impressions of the Holy Ghost when we've been called to act. Satan doesn't take breaks. When I heard about members of the church who are openly supporting the opposing view of the church concerning Proposition 8, I couldn't help but think of being poisoned by degrees. A lot can happen in 8 years. How many members were vehemently against the idea of gays marrying when it was time to vote on prop 22, and now have heard and read and seen so much acceptance of gays and their lifestyle during the last 8 years that now it seems to be only appropriate...even a matter of civil rights that they be allowed to marry.



Elder Oaks and Elder Wickman (a member of the Seventy) had an interview with a member of the church public affairs in which they thoroughly addressed this issue. It can be found, along with related topics on the churches website http://www.lds.org/. Or, click here to go directly to the interview. I encourage everyone to read it. It is awesome and so inspired. I was going to cite the interview throughout this blog, but will include one quote instead that I found particularly appropriate.



As far as I know the church has always been neutral on political matters, encouraging us to be active politically and vote, but nothing beyond that. It stands to reason that when the church comes out and asks us to give our time, money, and effort in support of a political cause that it is an issue that is especially important to the Lord. Elder Oaks stated well in response to a question posed him concerning the church's stance on gays entering into any type of legal union, something not labeled marriage that,



"If you have some legally sanctioned relationship with the bundle of legal rights traditionally belonging to marriage and governing authority has slapped a label on it, whether it is civil union or domestic partnership or whatever label it’s given, it is nonetheless tantamount to marriage. That is something to which our doctrine simply requires us to speak out and say, “That is not right. That’s not appropriate.” (emphasis added)



I love that he states that our doctrine requires that we speak out against it!! It's true, what will we say to the Lord when he asks what we did to support His request that we do everything within our realm of possibilities to protect His definition of marriage? The prophet speaks on behalf of the Lord, and he has asked that we take a stand.



Overall, if there you are having muddled feelings regarding this issue, pray about it. The Lord will not withhold revelation where it is merited through pondering and prayer. If still there doubt remains, think of it this way, we have been asked to follow the prophet of our dispensation. Thomas S. Monson is our current prophet, he and his apostles fully support this proposition. With all of their foresight, revelation, and closeness with God, do you really want to be opposing them?


I've copied and pasted "The Family, A Proclamation to the World" below. Note: This came out in 1995. Little did we know that it was preparing us for battles such as these. I had read it a bunch, but not recently. After reading it again today, I felt particularly impressed by the last few lines. It's always good to reread scripture.

The Family, A Proclamation to the World


"We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.

All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.

In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshipped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize their divine destiny as heirs of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.

The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.

We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God’s eternal plan.

Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.

The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.

We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society."

YES on Proposition 8!

3 comments:

Kim and company said...

I guess I'm worried most for our children's children. Albeit the best spirits are saved for last. But we have to bust our heinies doing something for the right!

Shelese said...

I liked this a lot. You are a great writer:)

NIKOL said...

I'm not going to debate Prop 8 with you (guess that's reserved for MY blog! hee!) but since we have these political discussions, I have a different, but related topic.

You said: "As far as I know the church has always been neutral on political matters, encouraging us to be active politically and vote, but nothing beyond that. It stands to reason that when the church comes out and asks us to give our time, money, and effort in support of a political cause that it is an issue that is especially important to the Lord." So, what do you think about the Church's opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment back in the 70's? They were just as involved with that as they are with Prop 8, only the ERA was on a national level. I really want to research that, because I don't know why the Church would be against it. I mean, I know women can't hold the priesthood, but the Church always tries to emphasize the importance and power of women otherwise. So why would they be against a law that guarantees women equal treatment? I'm just wondering your thoughts on the matter.