Saturday, April 2, 2011

conference...

It's that time again, and I LOVE it!! Ever since my mission, I crave conference. As I sat and listened today I couldn't help but think about how often things are repeated in each session. Then I just thought about my own preparation for it. That truly my preparation dictates what I walk away with. Just like reading the scriptures or attending the temple.

LOVED the label "celestial traditions" it totally made me smile and critique the traditions in our home that would fall under that category

LOVED the sweet talk about children, and becoming childlike. Not long ago I had been in a grumbly mood all morning. I got lunch ready for Isaak and went to grab something for myself when he pulled open our gospel art book and asked for a lunch lesson. He turned to a picture of Christ surrounded by children. I asked Isaak what he thought of the picture. He said that he liked that those children were talking to Jesus. I found myself saying something like, "All those children were so happy to be around Him because He was always kind to them. They always felt loved around Him and wanted to stay with Him..." and then, of course, felt the pang of guilt of a grumpy mother realizing that her son had probably not been feeling an abundance of love from her that morning. When I told him I was sorry that I had been grumpy with him he said, "It's okay, Mommy, don't be sad," and gave me a big smile...the same smile I give him when I tell him not to be sad. Oh how I need to be more childlike...

I ran 8 miles in between sessions...it is, after all, my long run day. It was a beautiful day...not for running though. 80 degrees (which I didn't mind) and strong winds made for a dehydrating experience. Only 4 more Saturdays before my half marathon...totally not ready, but hey, I can fake it, right? ;)

When Isaak came downstairs from his nap today (which he and Kaebri miraculously slept through the whole second session of conference, totally a tender mercy for us to be able to watch that session uninterrupted) he went over to sit on Brian's lap to give him a hug. He's extra snugly when he first wakes up from naps, which I love. I was on the couch away from them and Isaak was looking at me while he was hugging Brian. After a minute or so he said to me, "You could come give snugs too, Mommy, if you want..." :), yes, of course I want...

I'm anxiously awaiting Brian's return from Priesthood session of conference. Every conference he comes and gives me a full report of the session from copious notes he takes just for me :) It's one of my favorite times with Brian, just discussing instruction and stories from the prophet and apostles.

I love conference....

4 comments:

J♥M said...

Love it!
I love your perspective!
Yay for the long run! Thinking about that makes me exhausted. You'll do great! I just know it!
And what a sweet boy you have there! So thoughtful!
I wish Mat would share his notes with me. I always have to read about Priesthood session way after the fact.

Shelese said...

I hate those days when you find yourself needing to appologize to your kids. They are so sweet, and forgiving though :)

Kim and company said...

I also love conference sis! Glad it sounded so serene on your end! =0)

Elder and Sister Hale said...

Loved conference as well. Love that my kids are old enough to sit through it (while playing conference bingo of course) and listen to the talks...well at least listen for the key words that are on their bingo cards:)