Growing up I remember seeing your scriptures at your place at the table all the time. You left them there except for on Sunday when you took them to church with you. I remember seeing you read those scriptures everyday, and thinking, "Is she ever going to finish that book?" I, of course, did not fully understand until a little later the importance of daily scripture study, but you, by your example, taught me that it was important to read them everyday. An example that was so quiet, but spoke so clearly to me.
Whenever I lost something and you saw me searching the house for it you would say, "Well, have you prayed about it?" It was always so matter of fact. You never asked how long I had been looking, or where I saw it last, until after you had asked about prayer. Often, if I had not prayed about it, I would say, "Yes MOM!" annoyed that you were asking me something so trivial in a time of urgency. Then invariably I would go to my room, kneel down, and pray, knowing that I would find it quicker with the Lord's inspiration. After awhile it wasn't a lie when I said, "Yes Mom," because I always knew that you would ask me if you saw me looking, so I better do so anyway.
One time while we were at Disneyland as a family, I remember standing in line for Splash Mountain and you staring at the plants that were along the way. After staring for awhile I asked you what you were thinking, to which you replied, "I wish I could just go along with some gloves and clippers and trim back all those plants and do some weeding along here." I just laughed. You taught me to appreciate a well-manicured garden...even on vacation.
You always made homemade treats for us to take out to neighbors during Christmas time, something I miss dearly. I remember getting to pour the homemade frosting on top of the cinnamon rolls, cookies, and Christmas bread and being excited to share the yumminess of my mom's treats with the neighborhood.
I also loved pizza night, every Saturday. All of my friends knew that you would make your delicious homemade pizza on Saturday and they were always welcome. Fun memories for sure!!
I rarely remember hearing you complain. You were always willing to fulfill assignments, given to you, or offer your help where needed, and though it was stressful at times, you did so with a smile.
I love hearing from other women who have seen your quilts and such tell me how good you were at your craft. Such a gifted women.
On my mom's birthday last year my sister wrote a post about her that allowed me to learn a lot of things that I didn't know about her before. Being the youngest, I have spent the least amount of time with my parents...obviously. You see, my sweet mom has Alzheimer's disease, and doesn't recognize anyone besides my father anymore. I feel sad for her, when she has moments of acting lucid because I wonder how much she understands of what is going on with her. But I find great comfort in knowing that I will again get to hug her and speak with her about her experiences on this earth, and everything that has seemed long and hard here will be but a memory of trial and growth.
Know that we love you and are glad that you are ours for eternity Mom!!! Happy Birthday!!
5 comments:
Okay, first off sorry that I have not called you. I am frantically getting ready for a show down in SD again. We are leaving at 3 a.m., it is now 9:48, and we just packed up our car. I will call you when I get back, and we can chat for hours.
This post was so beautifully written! Your mom is an amazing lady. Someone I would love to be like, even though I have never met her! I want to have those types of traditions, like pizza night! Where are my friends, so we can have pizza night? What an amazing example. She looks beautiful in her picture. Thanks for sharing more about this wonderful woman!
I love you and miss you!
Thanks for that post Kayleen. Maybe send a link to Dad! Hope your Zak is back loving his Home!
Great tribute! I love your mom too! Happy Birthday Aunt Terry
What a great tribute! I loved reading about the things you remember. No wonder you're so wonderful!! :0)
I hope that you're feeling better these days!
Oh that was so beautifully written. She always had such wonderful stories to tell me about you and your siblings. I miss her too.
Post a Comment