Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Giving Thanks...

I think it's time for me to post something about gratitude. I woke up this morning feeling very grateful! The fact that Zak's been sleeping through the night probably has something to do with that. It's amazing the clarity that comes with hours of consecutive sleep!



Last night Brian and I got our temple recommends renewed, and the interviewer was an institute director at Cal State Fullerton where my father had also been a director. I asked him if he knew my father, and he smiled and said, "You're Lynn Green's daughter? Your Dad is a good man." It made me think about my dad and what an awesome responsibility it is to take care of my mom. It's hard on him, and he really is doing a fine job. I don't know how I would be in his situation, but I'm grateful that he has taken it upon himself to continue to look after her as long as he can. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease and I know it's hardest on the caretaker.

I'm grateful that my father has had a positive influence on people. I know it's because he taught the gospel for a living. It makes me grateful for the gospel's ability to unite people. Which makes me grateful, in turn, for my mission.






I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to get to know another culture and fall in love with it. I'm grateful that I went to Uruguay to share Christ's gospel and the people of Uruguay taught me about Christ's love, Latins are so charitable! Which also makes me grateful for my house.







I remember my sister, who served her mission in Chile, commenting, years after she had returned, that her house could shelter several of the families in Chile that she taught... because to them it would be seen as a mansion. As I sit in my heated house, with carpet, and a fridge with food, and a bed, and a crib for my baby to sleep in I am overwhelmed at how easy it is to forget how blessed we are in this country, and I realize that my Uruguayan friends would be more than happy to move in with me. Which makes me grateful, also, for my awesome siblings.




As the youngest of 9 I have been blessed with 8 real life examples. All of whom have been sooo great!! I'm so grateful for their love and commitment to the Lord, and their strength in following Him. They have been great examples to me, and all are always available for me if I need them. Which also makes me grateful for my husband.


Brian is awesome. I love that he does anything to make me smile. He's so giving and always down to help other people if he can. He's a hard worker, honest, loyal, giving, and anxious to please. He loves to have fun and laugh, and he's been such a good dad. Which leads me to the end of my rant of gratitude...my son is so stinkin' cool!!




Isaac makes me happy, he frustrates me, he makes me laugh, he makes me want to cry, he impresses me....all in the day of a life of a 4 1/2 month old...right? As I type he is in his crib, cooing in protest of taking his morning nap, and it makes me smile cuz he's cute. I love that he makes Brian and I work so hard to make him laugh, because when he does laugh, it's all the more rewarding! I love that every baby is so different....because they come with their own flavors and personalities. I love when I hear him wake up and he smiles super big when he sees me looking in on him when I enter his room. I'm grateful that the Lord has blessed us with a sweet little spirit (which really, is a big spirit, but he's just so little right now) which complicates and enriches our lives at the same time!!







There are a ton more things that I could mention, but I'd be here all day. It's unfortunate that there is only 1 month in which we as a nation focus on that which we are grateful for, but it's also fortunate that we have at least that month as a reminder that gratitude is important.


Soooo, what are you grateful for?

5 comments:

Kim and company said...

Hey I'm thankful for your blog that allows me to peek in on your family! I noticed that you didn't mention your favorite sibling---which was good thinking---that could cause a family war...that could also kill ya! Hee Hee! Love ya!

The Walker clan said...

Hey there sweet thing! I thankful for your reminder of being thankful! I am jealouse your baby is sleeping through the night! Mine...not so much. Still wakes two times...so maybw when she does my mind will be clear :) I'm going to have to post a thankful note on my blog too...thanks!!!

Love Ang

spideybrian said...

What a keeey-ute baby!! I was at work and thought I'd look at some pics of my family and I tell you what, they are both beautiful. I'm gonna say that I'm thatnkful to be sealed to them to...and how many others that will bless our lives.
-Brian

Scott and Megan said...

nice work Kay. Made me think of lots of things I'm grateful for! I am grateful we know you guys!

7packofbearss said...

I love the baby's face when Brian is kissing him. Awesome!