Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Kool-Aid Pickle


Maybe I'll make
"Good Idea, Bad Idea" a bvaughan exclusive addition to our blog. Not sure if it'll be a weekly or monthly segment though. Let me know what you think.

I was driving to work one morning, listening to a radio morning show, and they were talking about carnival foods. They mainly mentioned foods that I had already heard of, like curly fries, turkey legs, cotton candy, and those of the deep fried assortment: Twinkies and Snickers. Then, they mentioned the Kool-Aid pickle (aka: Koolickles. apparently it's big in the southern states). At first it sounded disgusting, but the DJs and callers mentioned how they had tried it and liked it. The recipe was given on how to make them so I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try.

Here I am biting into the Koolickle. It has a sweet and sour taste to it. It reminded me of when I was in downtown L.A. and tried some candied cactus. It might taste sweet (and a bit sour), but your brain says "I don't know why, but this just isn't right".
The cherry pickle wasn't the worst tasting thing ever introduced to my taste buds, but let's just say, I won't be packing Zak's school lunches with this stuff.

So, Good Idea: eating a pickle while drinking a glass of Kool-Aid. Bad Idea: fermenting the pickle inside your glass of Kool-Aid.

For those of you with curious taste buds, I've placed the recipe below. Enjoy!
Easy Kool-Aid Pickle Recipe*:

Use 2 quart, or larger, sized jar to make Kool-Aid mix. Add only 1 quart of water, 1 packet of Kool-Aid, and 2 1/2 - 3 cups of sugar. Mix until sugar is disolved. Pull the desired amount of pickles from the jar and cut them in halves. Add 1 quart of brine to Kool-Aid mixture, shake and let it sit in the refrigerator for about a week (Cherry flavor seems to be the most popular flavor amongst southern kids).
*Editors note: bvaughan is not responsible for anyone choosing to actually try a Kool-Aid Pickle or any of it's inbred cousins.

2 comments:

Em said...

Cute blog!! I am so excited that I found it. I will now beable to stock you. take care and cant wait to see you tonight.

Burrows: places of retreat; shelter or refuge. said...

Like the blog! Here is the address to cool blog templates: jonesblogdesign.blogspot.com
I think you'll like them.... alot.