"2" is a great number. When I think of "2" I think of 2 scoops of ice cream, 2 more minutes to do something fun (that always seems to appease Isaak when I tell him we have to leave in 2 minutes...it sounds like so much more than 1), They Might Be Giants "Here come the 123s" "The number 2" song. (If you're unfamiliar with this cd, you should totally check it out from the library, or google it. It's way cute. Great songs for kids to learn numbers...and I may find myself listening to them when I'm alone in the car....), my 2 beautiful kids, of course....
...however... (I learned in an English class I took that studied the nomenclature of advertisements, that using the word "but" is a negative trigger for people. So, no matter what you say in the beginning of a sentence, if you attach a clause that begins with the word "but" the statement will seem negative. The cure is to use the word, "however." It doesn't trigger that negative train of thought...in case you were wondering...)
The age 2 hasn't impressed me lately. It's been good to me for a solid 8 months now, HOWEVER (like how I brought that full circle?), it's opened up a new door this past week. And when I say "it" I mean Isaak. A door that I didn't even think was on Isaak's radar. The tantrum door. Not your run-of-the-mill tantrum. No, no, that could simply be chalked up to, I don't know, his age? But these tantrums are out of control. He had 3 today. One as we were leaving church. I carried him out of the church, through the parking lot, and held him down to buckle him in his seat, then closed the car door. My thoughts quickly turned to abandonment. I could walk home from church. It's only like 6 miles, maybe 7. It would totally be good for my upcoming half marathon I've been training for...
Don't misread me here. I have no qualms about public tantrums. I don't bat an eye at the tantrums of other people's kids in the store, or at the park or anywhere for that matter. I get it. Kids are kids, they're learning social norms and how to express and handle their emotions blah blah blah. It just makes me feel bad that I feel like throwing my own tantrum...or just leaving him in the car in the church parking lot....
I remember reading why kids have tantrums somewhere in whatever nameless chapter or article about the terrible twos, but couldn't remember what I had read since it's been a while. So I googled it. Isaak was in his room with the lights off (there was enough light for him to see from his window), trying to calm himself down from aforementioned tantrum so that he could take a much needed nap. The general consensus is that tantrums happen as a result of the child's inability to express himself with words, feeling such strong emotions and not having the words to communicate them.
So, with my refreshed patience and renewed understanding of his plight, I went in to speak with him, once I heard that the storm had passed. When I went in the first time, he had gone potty and was refusing to put his underwear and pants back on. When I went in again, he had put his underwear on and said, "I put my underwear on the right way, Mommy. I would like you to help me put my pants on now." Me: "Okay, can you come sit down on my lap so I can help you and we can talk?" Isaak: "Yes, I will" He came and sat on my lap as I explained that I understood that he must have been frustrated, and he cut me off as he stood up with his pants only half way up and said, "NO! I wasn't frustrated, I was just yelling and screaming! And in order to pull my pants up all the way I need you to turn on the light!"
Yes, my son used "in order to" correctly in a sentence.
If you've spoken with Isaak before, you know I'm not exaggerating our conversation.
As we were walking out of church a friend saw us and said, "I have NEVER seen that kid angry, what did you do to him?" :)
He was right. The tantrums are SO out of character.
And they might just drive me crazy, like literally insane...
...especially after his little display of well-put-together phrases in his room...
so I figure I must be the good example and not throw my own tantrums about his tantrums....
I love 2, I love 2, I love 2....
5 comments:
Look at you updating your blog so much!
I am not sure if that would explain Isaaks tantrums. Obviously if he is using phrases like, "in order to" he has a pretty good grasp on the whole communication thing. Maybe he is just making up for the fact that since he has always been a talker, he actually missed out on the whole tantrum thing.
Or maybe he needs some pie. It is pi day.
I've thrown one or two mommy tantrums. Sigh. Not pretty, but effective. It did bring about utter silence in my home. Nonetheless, I do not recommend that. You probably do NOT remember the "over the top---hit his head against the wall and throw himself on the ground screaming and kicking" tantrums that Kirk had eh? Yeah--they were pretty dramatic and I never got used to them. However (don't want to say 'but') we all watched aghast that someone would inflict harm and then carry on so. Luckily--look at the charming kid he is now! Good luck mommy!!
We are actually big fans of They Might Be Giants, Here come the 123's. K and H both love the podcast videos. Also We love the 2 as well. As I read through your post I thought we did that at church a few months ago. Not the sweet conversation afterwards, K is not an "in order to" kinda kid. But I agree I love 2, can't wait for 3.
I love how you so eloquently explain things! Your blog posts are so fun to read. Nice tantrum... sounds like Levi. :-) I love that Isaak used "in order to". Nice job Kayleen!
All I have to say is, I am sooo glad I'm past all of that! HOWEVER, it is such a hoot to witness it in other people's kids, especially my sister's kids:)
Post a Comment